Whispers from the heart

Ocassional conversations with my heart. Never heart-wrenching and heart-breaking. Always light-hearted and hearty. Ever thankful for your heart-felt support.

Monday, August 21, 2006

The Loong-ny tunes

My son, the second generation young English-educated radical, criticized my post-NDR entry as uninspiring and downright lame compared to those written by more illustrious bloggers about town.


I have no defense and take no offence. For an old fogey who had survived many National Day Rallies, believe me, there wasn't much to feel excited/upset about them anymore.


However, Mr Brown was my savior again! I listened to his harmless podcast and presto! I found myself looking forward to the next NDR....


The Loong-ny tunes are finally here! mai hum .. mai hum rapped the hum-bug.


I think Mr Brown is more talented than the PRC man who illegally sneaked into Singapore to operate five illegal food stalls.


I don't know if PM knew if he was admitting to some of his esteemed colleagues' failed KPIs? The minister who allowed such easy entry for illegal immigrants and the minister who allowed illegal immigrants to operate not one, but five food stalls. To me, it sounded much easier for a foreigner to do illegal things in Singapore than for a Singaporean to do legal things, like writing a humorous article.


I urge our PM to give that same space of freedom that foreigners have to his own citizens. If Mr Brown could, in that tiny little legal blog spot, produce creative masterpieces, I'm sure he would be more spectacular doing illegal things to put your PRC man to shame a thousand fold.


But alas, not only beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, talent is, too. To PM, someone who breaks the law to find a living is exhibiting highly-valued resilience. Darn it, why didn't he say so earlier?! I would have robbed a bank in my younger days....


For most Singaporeans, the difficult thing that we can't do is probably breaking the law. There is no "another country" to be deported back to. The fact that a PRC man can find it more efficient to operate illegal food stalls in Singapore than China, makes me think very hard:


1 Singapore is only a paper tiger. In reality, it's more 'wild wild west' than China.


2 He has more to lose in China. Here, he makes a killing and risks being deported only. Hypothetically, it is the same for a Singaporean's situation in China? Do they have tougher laws?


3 In the same speech, PM also welcomed immigrants and hailed them as our life savers. Why not become part of China and India? It certainly opens up many opportunities.


If I were to have any feeling, my son, it would be that I felt sad. In my earlier entry, I lamented that Singapore is a bending willow. I was wrong. It has grown downwards to become a creeper.


Singapore gives me the creeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home