Whispers from the heart

Ocassional conversations with my heart. Never heart-wrenching and heart-breaking. Always light-hearted and hearty. Ever thankful for your heart-felt support.

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Heart aches for the $50 million

Yay, this is my FIRST post!

Ok, not exactly a great leap for mankind. But, a giant step for yours truly here.

I used to think blogging is for the young ( like those English-educated radical young ...) and I was understandably "paiseh" for harboring such a frivolous and unconstructive thought!

But, what do you know?! I bumped around the blogosphere for a few months and made some major discoveries:

1 Not all bloggers are young. (Even Xiaxue is not that young). They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes in a figurative way. There is even a meek kitten which blogs.

2 There is also a strong gender equality. Blogging is not dominated by male or female. Being a female, this is comforting as there would not be any "glass ceiling" to affect my blogging career. (In fact, nice pictures of the gentler sex always please and excite readership, I think).

3 While some blogs are very intellectual, really, most are less demanding of our cerebral agility. However, all is not lost. Those with less emphasis on intellectual content usually compensates with their creativity and sincerity. I am happy to say that most bloggers blog with a message, only those who can't understand these messages call them internet chatter.


Today, there are some discussions amongst bloggers on the closure of Biopolis, the much touted partnership of A*Star with Johns Hopkins? (Sorry, still learning to link). If you want details, well, go to TODAY. There is a very long reply from A*Star to explain the fall-out.

Of course, many questioned the monies lost. $50 million is not a small peanut. Given that any foray into new industries will produce some spectacular losses at some point in time. I am just wondering how much more to 'invest' and how many more of such ill-fated ventures will we see in future?

To risk sounding like a hindsight guru, I had heard my heart's whispers when the partnership was celebrated fiercely in the MSM at its launch, eight years ago. My heart was telling me that there are no short-cuts to the heart. Everything starts from the capillaries, the veins, the arteries, the aorta and finally to the four chambers etc (Ok,I am not trained in the wonders of the human anatomy so there may be inaccuracies but I think that's the general idea).

Would-be bioscientists who are lured by the opportunity of earning big bucks and driving sports cars can be quite dangerous. We know money can buy morality, sometimes.

In Singapore, we are constantly being asked to move on. So I will. I only wished the MRT can also move on too.

(Note: The NEL is notoriously resistant to the Government's call to move on. It was halted for a few hours again!)



,

4 Comments:

  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hip and happening at 40s.
    keep it up!

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger le radical galoisien said…

    Well, the idea of "blogging for the young" worries me, since you're already converted, but it I guess it reveals a deeper sentiment that needs to be corrected than I thought.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Whispers from the heart said…

    Yes, there is a deeper sentiment but I hate to go all mushy with it.

    Blogging is the new way to bond with our children. Of course, we can have family outings and dinners etc.

    But I also respect my child's active social life - school and friends etc

    Thus, leading to not many occasions for discussions of the more serious kind. I can't imagine digging out such thoughts to him while sitting in a tour bus towards some holiday destination.

    I know he has been reading my blog and me, reading his. Through this, we know each other better and make those ocassions when we get together even more meaningful.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A great start. A pity no enough comments on the main topic you touched on.

    I recall a report in the papers on the many students being 'lured' into bioscience, thinking they will land some research jobs. Many graduated only to find that the industry has little demand for the fresh graduates of biosciences who are not yet 'qualified' to do serious research works. Another example of our over-engineered education system of jumping on the government's band wagon and hype of a particular industry.

    What has become of the bioscience graduates, you may ask? It seems many have gone into other careers, including sales, where the real demand for manpower are.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home