Whispers from the heart

Ocassional conversations with my heart. Never heart-wrenching and heart-breaking. Always light-hearted and hearty. Ever thankful for your heart-felt support.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The bottomline on local headlines (23 Aug 2006)

Time is precious for an old fogey. Like they say, you don't know when you'll go!

I don't really like selling tissues at MRT stations and shopping malls. Perhaps, I'll consider it when MOM and NTUC re-brand the profession with a catchy job title, job certification and a funky uniform to boot. Like the one worn by those star trekkies, cool.

Disgusting isn't? I am one of those fussy unemployed who refused to understand that a few hundreds is better than zero.

Well, I have bigger plans for myself. I will embrace our PM ... 's vision of the coming of the digital age. My son pointed out that he was a little late. Nevermind, old people are slower at things but I'm sure we'll get there at 73.

For starters, I got myself a digital clock. Tonight, I shall get myself a digital watch. I will re-train myself to be a digital media talent that Singapore needs. Next, I gathered I need to be a media expert as well. Ok, no probs, I'll start with the print media. Reading headlines is a breeze. Getting the bottomline is the tricky part. I'll try.

MOH publishes average hospital bill sizes which show affordability. Read.
Bottomline - we never had problems with medical bills, false alarm!

Police to examine practicality of alternative sites given by World Bank for protests. Read.
Bottomline - Sir, please fill up the 'Request for police action' form and queue behind those 'civil' assault cases.

Man smuggling Subutex in anus caught at Woodlands checkpoint. Read.
Bottomline - he should have used some of his creative sparks on alternative routes to avoid Woodlands checkpoint instead.

Reports on Taiwan President travelling to Palau via S'pore false: MFA. Read.
Bottomline - taiwanese newspapers retort that Singapore papers lost their sense of hearing too, quoting PM saying hum as hiam ....

Case announces six new central committee members. Read.
Bottomline - they are roped in to investigate rising cosumer complaints about not having any hum in their mee siam.

(More to come .... but need to re-charge after reading so much media bollocks).

3 Comments:

  • At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Digital age indeed. I mean...duh!!!

    Wasn't the PAP the ones who keep boasting about how we are an 'IT Hub"? How we are so 'wired up' that we are one of the best connected nation on this planet?

    Why then does the govt seem to be caught flat-footed by bloggers???

    I am rather perplexed that the govt doesn't seem to know or understand the very technology it has been trumpeting!

    Digital age indeed...

    Hey, by the way, would you be interested in being a part of an online project which a bunch of us are undertaking?

    Please email me at : toc984@yahoo.com.sg

    Thanks... and keep blogging.. :)

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger le radical galoisien said…

    For one, it's the President of the Republic of China. "Taiwan President" doesn't grep at all.

    Republic of China was the first Chinese republic and there's no reason we should reduce this to just "president of Taiwan".

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Whispers from the heart said…

    Hi,

    yep ... we badly need some foreign journalistic talents.

    And it's a more severe case than just poor english.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home